Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Singing in the Storm

Have you ever been so scared and frightened in your life? Have you been in a situation where you felt so alone and so helpless? Have you felt your heart skip a beat or two because of being trapped? Well last night, I somehow experienced all of these...

Yesterday was a hard day for me. I somehow experienced someone say to my baby that he's ugly. Haha. You probably might wonder at this illustration if you hadn't heard Ahia Harg's sermon on positive criticism. Well, I have a project that I really worked on until the end or its final stage only to find out that my boss thinks its too complicated. He had already approved of it during its initial stages so it was hard for me to somehow accept his explanations (which makes sense by the way). So I had no complaints and agreed to adjust and make ammendments. But somehow my actions and my heart are not in sync.

I went home late yesterday around 7 pm. I knew it was raining then, but as I stepped in front of the main gate, I knew that getting home was going to be harder. As I was driving, I said to myself, "This is the first time I've experienced rain so fine that I couldn't see much where I was going." I really depended on the tail lights and blinkers of the other cars.

Suddenly, I heard a familiar sound from the brakes. Uh-Oh. I knew I should have stayed away from flooded areas. "I would have if only I could see where I was going" I thought. But still I pressed on and went home the way I used to know... only to find out that the road gets flooded during heavy rains. Traffic was really building up because small cars couldn't pass through the flooded areas. But still I continued until such a time that I was stuck in the traffic itself.

While being stranded in the traffic, I could hear the rain splashing on the wind shield. I could see the lightning as if it were reaching to me. I could hear the thunder roaring. I could feel the gushing waters beneath my car. I could see and hear it all and yet I was unable to do anything. I was really stuck with another car in front and the waters at my back. I had to make a choice - go to another road which I am not familiar or stay stucked in there. I prayed to God to protect and guide me in this situation and to also be with my loved ones and friends.

I backed up against the current to a new road that is not that flooded and followed a car which did the same. I followed the car while trying to balance speeding and braking. Then I found myself singing to songs like "I Know Who Holds the Future","My God Is So Big","Cares Chorus" and many others (that I couldn't remember now). I was singing until I found a familiar billboard that signalled me I was close a familair road - the way to home. I was so overjoyed that I practically was singing and thanking Him until I was home.

I don't know what you are going through today, but may this encourage you to let God control your lives. As Jesus has calmed the storms during His time, so can He calm the storm in this age and the ages to come. This is a lesson that I've learned while in the translation class (Eccl. 9:1,7-10) Accept the realities of life with a happy heart because all is in the plan/hands of God, be able to share it with someone you love and continue to fully live and mightily do the work which God has allowed you to do. Glory to God!

No comments: