Sunday, May 06, 2007

Dazed Amid the Blaze

My thoughts:

Last night was a very scary night for the people in Caloocan specifically 8th Ave. (I live a street away from the main street of 8th Ave. where the real blaze is happening). Although my family were a street away, I could still feel the heat, the fire burning. As I go up to the 5th floor terrace, I could see a small shanty and several others around it being swallowed in flames.

As I recall, I've been in this situation before when my neighbors house got burned also. Back then, I really had no idea what was happening. As a small child, I couldn't do anything as I was being taken care of by my mom. All I remember was being held by my mom as we went out of the house to a nearby relative's house for safety. This time around as an adult, I suddenly felt dazed/confused in all the commotion.

Suddenly,...
1) Priorities are tested (What should I bring if ever the flames get near - what I need or what I want?)
2) True care is measured (As I look into the burning house, I thought of the people who lived in that shanty. I also thought about the adjacent house which sold gas tanks for the stove. I thought to myself "what if the fire gets into that house?" - selfish or for others)
3) Tensions arise (I told my brothers to quickly pack something - maybe 3 sets of clothes and to just stay put),
4) Lessons are learned (Is this a reminder from God to cherish what He has given me? What is God saying in all this?)

I said a little prayer in the midst of this that went something liek this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

My prayer:

Dear Heavenly Father, I may not know what is your purpose in doing this. I may not know what is to happen to me or anyone. I may not know of many things, but this i know - that You, o Lord, are a great and good God. I know in your perfect will and timing that You have planned all things to happen. Yes, I am finite and You are infinite. I pray that You are still glorified in the midst of this. Help me not to be too concerned of myself. Help me to be a person who gives praise and thanks always even in the midst of suffering and sadness. I pray for comfort to those who have lost their homes in this blaze. Be with us tonight! In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

No comments: