Sunday, June 17, 2007

On Covenants, Promises and Prayers...

Last week for me was a constant reminder on learning how to keep my promises and vows.

The first time was Friday when we had a Bible Study on the book of Judges. Achi Hensie wasn't around so we had to split into groups of four to be headed by an assigned facilitator. The topic was a continuation of the story of Jephthah. He swore to the Lord that if the Lord gives him the victory, he would offer to God the first living thing to greet him upon his arrival. Sadly, his daughter was the first one to greet him. Of course, it was his own folly that lead to that consequence. Jephthah didn't completely trust that God would deliver even after God assured him of victory. In the end, Jephthah did what he had promised to the Lord.

* This made me think. Many times we do tend to treat God as a genie. Our wishes may go something like "I would do service if you grant me this..." or "I will tell that person about You, but first You have to..." I am reminded once again that God has His own purposes and plans and he gives us what is best for us in His own perfect will and time. I tend to believe that most of the promises that we make to God are selfish and "gut-feel" promises. Sometimes, out of the blue, we just say it without thinking, without it really coming from the heart.

Another point is that when God does provide or give your request, do we do our part of the promise? We can see daily that God has been and will always be true and faithful to His Word. How about us?

Another question might be "What is the motive for asking such a request?" May we learn to please God in our promises and may God helps us to ask for the right things.


The second reminder was last Sunday in the worship sermon. Ahia Harg was talking about having the successful life using God's standard. He's saying that we should have love that is faithful and faithfulness that has love. An example of love that is true is a family that is eating together (love) vegetables as against a person eating fattended calf by himself . An example of faithfulness that has love is a couple who dearly love each other (who truly treasure each other's wedding vows) as against a couple who do not even sleep on the same bed or do not talk with each other.

* This made me think of my future wedding vows. Maybe God doesn't want me to have "someone special" yet is because I am not ready yet to a commitment. According to the discipleship material, when God doesn't give you your request, it may be that He wants you to learn faith and perseverance. That's why I'll wait, I'll wait... and I need to learn faithful love and loving truth.


The last reminder was unexpected actually and a little related to Ahia Harg's sermon. My mom was watching a Koreanovela entitled "To Marry a Millionaire". I just happen to catch up the last few episodes, but something between the heroine and the hero struck me. I think because it was chezed kind of love! In the end, the guy said to the girl that he'll surely keep his promise to wait for her and that everday will be better. The girl said to the guy that he'll never be able to keep that promise because today (being with the guy) is best! (of course, they got back together after the hardships that tried to separate them.)

* It is romantic and somehow realistic. Oftentimes, we are afraid to tell someone we love of our problems and state because we think that we will encumber them or that we will shame them. But as the series pointed out, if we truly love that person, we are willing to share the pain and bear together the burden. I guess this is the kind of commitment that is at par to the chezed kind of love and faithfulness!

Till next time! Ü

No comments: